What To Look For In The Best Air Purifier For Mold
There really are a lot of things that homeowners do to reduce their energy costs. In fact, as a homeowner you probably often times find yourself sealing drafty doors, caulking leaky windows, installing energy efficient lights, and investing in smart devices. Well, what you might not realize is that you partake in these activities you are actually sealing in pollutants and irritants, which can be extremely harmful if you have mold in the home. And, this is exactly where air purifiers can come in handy. These devices not only help remove mold from the home, but they can go a long way when it comes to battling asthma and allergies.
However, before running out and just trying to find the best air purifier for mold, you truly need to know what to look for in an air purifier. And, that is exactly what you are going to learn below.
Quick comparison table
Consider Operating Costs
You might be surprised to learn that it can cost anywhere from $150 to $200 a year to operate an air purifier. Keep in mind that this estimate is including electricity and filter costs. Of course, the majority of the cost is going to be in filters, but this can really vary depending on the type of filter that your chosen model utilizes. Filters can cost anywhere from $10 to $100 dollars. It goes without saying that the more expensive filters are going to capture more pollutants and irritants, but if you are dealing with mold this is something that you are going to need.
Another thing to keep in mind is that there are some purifiers on the market that offer pre-filters. The filters actually catch larger pollutants before they reach the main HEPA filter, which can increase the longevity of the HEPA filter. If you are looking to save a little on operating costs this might be something that you want to consider. Some model will even come equipped with washable filters, so this might also be something that you want to consider.
Take Noise Into Consideration
When you are investing in an air purifier you always have to consider the noise. Some of the models can be rather noisy and this might be a problem if you are a lite sleeper or you are installing the device in a room where a baby is sleeping. Instead of investing in several different room models and running them on high speeds, you might be better off investing in a larger model and running it on a lower speed. This will not only be more efficient, but it will greatly help with noise because you can install the device far away from any bedrooms.
Filter Change Reminders
If you want your purifier to work at optimal operating conditions and provide the most efficiency possible, you are going to have to keep that filter clean. Of course, this is something that is extremely hard to remember to do. You probably have a hard time keeping up with changing your HVAC filter. Well, this is why it is always important to consider a model that comes equipped with a filter reminder. Most models will include a little red light that flashes or stays on solid when the filter needs to be changed. This will not only increase the efficiency of your purifier, but it will ensure that it doesn’t get damaged.
There are a variety of new innovative features available with purifiers. And, the new programmable feature is something that cannot be overlooked. These controls really allow you to customize your operating controls. Instead of leaving the device running all day long while you are at work, you can program it to come on several hours before you arrive home, which will have the home sanitized and clean before you arrive home. In addition to this, it prevents unneeded run times.
Finding The Best Air Purifier For Mold
To better help you find the best air purifier for mold, below you will discover some of the top models available. These models will include many or all of the features that were mentioned in the above buying guide.
Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier
Decided that it is time to do something about that poor air quality in your home? If so, it may be time to invest in the Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier. This particular model is designed with a high-quality HEPA system, which is capable of capturing up to 99.97 percent of the airborne pollutants in an indoor environment. The air purifier is ideal for medium- to large-sized rooms.
- True-HEPA filter captures 99.97% of airborne pollutants; dust mites, pet dander, pollen and other allergens as small as 0.3 microns.
- 3 Stage cleaning, removes a range of allergens: dust, cigarette smoke, pollen, odors, pet dander, mold spores and organic chemicals
- PlasmaWave acts as a permanent filter to safely break down odor, allergens, chemical vapors and other pollutants - with no harmful ozone
Three-Stage Cleaning Process
The 5300-2 utilizes a three-stage cleaning process to remove allergens from the environment. This process helps to remove a variety of allergens, including cigarette smoke, dust, odors, mold spores, organic chemicals and pet danger from homes. Within several hours of use, you will notice a major improvement in how your home smells thanks to this design.
The 5300-2 Air Purifier is integrated with a unique technology known as PlasmaWave. This technology acts as a filter, breaking down pollutants so they can be completely removed from the environment. PlasmaWave will breakdown chemical vapors, foul odors, and allergens.
The Winix 5300-2 operates quieter than some of the competitor brands. The measured sound level is 27.8, which means the operational noise is very low. You can place the air purifier right next to your bed and it will not keep you awake or disturb your sleep.
The 5300-2 is CADR rated for 360-square-foot, making it ideal for medium- and large-sized rooms. You can utilize it in your child’s bedroom, an infant’s nursery, your office or small den.
Four Fan Speeds
The four fan speeds will allow you to make the necessary adjustments to keep your home free of harmful pollutants. The settings include low, medium, high and turbo.
Auto Dim Capability
LEDs are known for interfering with sleep. Their bright light is not often noticed during the day, but at night they can prevent you from sleeping. To prevent this issue, the 5300-2 is integrated with an auto dim feature, which senses and adjusts the brightness depending on the level of ambient light in the room.
- LED auto dim
- HEPA filtration
- Four fan speed settings
- Smart sensors monitor air consistently to automatically adjust the speed
- Does not include a remote
- HEPA filters are not reusable
The Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier works very quietly, so you can place it in any bedroom or nursery. While setting adjustments must be done manually, the air purifier is integrated with technologies and components that allow it to work more efficiently, making automatic adjustments to prevent you from needing to do it.
GermGuardian AC4825 3-In-1 Air Purifier
The GermGuardian AC4825 Air Purifier is ideal for small- and medium-sized rooms. It can be placed in nurseries, children’s bedrooms and dens to remove up to 99.7 percent of the pollutants from the environment. The unit works very quietly to eliminate any potential disturbances, when sleeping, reading and watching television.
- True HEPA Filter captures 99.97% of dust and allergens as small as .3 microns such as household dust, pet dander, mold spores and plant pollens. Charcoal filter reduces common odors from pets, smoking and cooking.
- Air Purifiers with UV-C light technology work with Titanium Dioxide to kill airborne bacteria, viruses, germs and mold spores.
- 22 inch 3 speed tower is best used for medium sized rooms and CADR rated 100+.Cord Length: 6 feet
UV-C Light Technology
The UV-C Light Technology works with titanium dioxide to eradicate viruses, mold spores, germs and bacteria that are airborne. This technology will work hard to keep any room in your home free healthier and cleaner.
- Tower space-saving design (22 inches in height)
- CADR rated for medium-sized rooms
- 6-Foot electric cable
- Operates very quietly
- HEPA filtration
- HEPA filter replacements are expensive
- Operational noise will get louder over time
The GermGuardian AC4825 Air Purifier works consistently to remove particles as small as 0.3 microns from the environment. Place the unit in your infant’s nursery or child’s bedroom to remove odors, pet danger and mold spores from the environment. The end result is nothing less than a cleaner, healthier living environment.
Blueair Blue Pure 121 Air Purifier
Choosing an air purifier in today’s market can be quite the task. That was until you discovered the Blueair Blue Pure 121 Air Purifier. This portable little purifier pretty much includes everything that you need to keep any room in your home clean and sanitized. With its ability to 99 percent of 2.5 airborne pollutants, you are truly looking for one innovative device.
- CAPTURES 99% of PM 2.5 airborne pollutants; allergies, mold, dust, pet dander, smoke and pollen with specially designed particle filter
- ACTIVATED CARBON filter removes common odors caused by smoking, pets, cooking, dorm room smells and VOCs.
- TOP RATED air purifier for lowest sound output providing quiet operation. Energy Star rated for best in class energy performance.
Noise is extremely important when it comes to investing in an air purifier. The Blueair Blue Pure 121 Air Purifier is widely known for being rated as one of the lowest sound producing purifiers available on the market today. Whether you are a lite sleeper or you are installing the device in a baby’s room, you simply cannot overlook the quietness of this model
Filters are without a doubt one of the most expensive maintenance costs of any purifier. And, this is exactly why the Blueair Blue Pure 121 Air Purifier comes equipped with washable pre-filters. These filters not only increase the lifespan of your HEPA filter, but they can be washed, so that you can use them over and over again. This purifier also comes equipped with three different fan speeds, so you can customize the fan speed based on the needs of the room. There is no sense in running at full speed in an area that is only partly dirty.
- Customize your operating control with the three fan speeds
- Washable pre-filters save the life of your HEPA filters
- Capture 99 percent of pollutants
- Compact and portable design
- Handles 600 to 700 square feet
- Special activated carbon filter
- Designed for allergies, mold, dust, smoke, and pets
- Extremely quite
- Not designed for whole home operation
- Must register unit to get additional two-year warranty
With its quiet operation, one-year warrant, customizable fans control, and pre-washable filters, there really isn’t much more than you could ask for in an air purifier.
Alen BreatheSmart Classic Antibacterial Smart Bundle Purifier
Are you looking for the best air purifier and don’t mind splurging? If the answer is yes, you’ll definitely want to check out the BreatheSmart Classic from Alen. This unit is pretty expensive, but it comes with tons of perks that cannot be found anywhere else. For instance, it is available in tons of colors and it can cover a greater distance than the alternatives. It is also more effective for removing the mold spores from the atmosphere. You’ll find out why below.
- PURE AIR FOR LIFE: We understand things happen, which is why Alen offers the industry's first and only Lifetime Warranty
- YOU'LL RECEIVE: 1 BreatheSmart Classic Air Purifier, 2 HEPA-Silver filters best for capturing and killing airborne mold, germs, and asthma triggers
- POWERFUL COVERAGE: BreatheSmart Classic is perfect for family rooms and other large, open-concept spaces up to 1100 SqFt
You’re probably going to want to keep your home stylish. Well, there is no doubt that some purifiers are going to be an eyesore. This shouldn’t be an issue with the Alen BreatheSmart Classic. This unit is available in tons of cool colors, including white, rosewood, safari black, seafoam green, electric blue, and many more. No matter what you’re after, you can guarantee that this unit is going to satisfy your senses.
Even better is the fact that this unit comes with a lifetime warranty. This is something that is going to be nearly impossible to find anywhere else. Sure, it is expensive. However, the warranty helps to justify the price.
Most purifiers offer limited coverage. This is why the Alen Purifier is different. This unit is capable of covering space up to 1,100 square feet. If you have a massive room and need to clean its air, you’ll definitely want to check out this purifier. It will not disappoint.
- Protected by a lifetime warranty
- Covers up to 1,100 square feet
- Comes with 2 HEPA filters
- Tons of colors to choose from
- Can help you fall asleep with soothing noises
- Lightweight at just 21 pounds
- Very expensive
The Alen BreatheSmart Classic Air Purifier is great. It is expensive, but it’ll prove to be well worth the investment in the long run. If you want to invest in a unit that will last a lifetime, this one is worth your time and money!
LEVOIT LV-PUR131 Air Purifier
There is a pretty good chance that you’ve never heard of LEVOIT. If not, you need to learn about the company right away. They make some of the best and cheapest air purifiers on the market. In fact, their LV-PUR131 Air Purifier may very well be the best air purifier for mold. It is pretty inexpensive and it is designed to meet and exceed the needs of a various individual. After all, it is great for mold, pets smoke, and so much more. It is also capable of cleaning the air in a pretty big room. More about that will be provided below.
- Helps get rid of common allergy triggers including dust mites, pollen, mold, pet dander, as well as other small particles and pollutants. Ideal for summertime air purifying in the air conditioning room
- 3 Stage Filtration System: Pre-filter, TRUE HEPA Filter, & Activated Carbon Filter. It removes 99.97% of dust, pollen, smoke, odor, mold spores, and pet dander; filters particles as small as 0.3 microns and larger and filters air pollution of PM 2.5. Good for stuffy nose
- 100% Ozone free, does not use UV or Ions which produce trace amounts of measurable ozone, a harmful air pollutant
You should know that this air purifier is designed to clean the air in an entire room. In all, it is suitable for up to 322 square foot of space. That makes it slightly more powerful and capable than many of the alternatives. If you need to keep the air in your living room or bedroom clean and pure, this will be a good investment.
True HEPA Filter
This unit features a true HEPA filter. It also has an activated carbon filter. This combination is going to make a big difference in the long run. It is capable of removing as much as 99.97% of all dust, pollen, mold spores, pet dander, smoke, and odor. Suffice to say, this unit is going to keep your room clean!
Smart Auto Mode
Most air purifiers are pretty simplistic and basic. The LV-PUR131 is not. This unit comes with a smart auto mode. When this mode is turned on, this unit will automatically detect the surrounding air quality. Then, it’ll provide you with suggestions for fan speed. By using that specific fan speed, you’ll be able to get the air purified much quicker than you would otherwise.
Many air purifiers are simply too loud to be used at night. This will not be an issue with the LV-PUR131 Purifier. After all, it comes with a sleep mode. Once you’ve switched to this mode, the unit will switch to the lowest setting. In return, it is not going to keep you up at night.
- Has a sleep mode
- Capable of accommodating rooms up to 322 square foot
- HEPA filter and activated carbon filter for a great performance
- Protected by a 2-year warranty
- Comes with lifetime support
- Smart auto mode removes the guess work
- Can emit a strong smell
- A little loud
The LEVOIT LV-PUR131 Air Purifier is great for the price. Just remember that it can emit a bad smell and it might be a little loud. Nevertheless, these flaws are not deal breakers. The unit is pretty good despite them.
Last update on 2018-07-18 at 08:57